Are you our next volunteer?
Service Civique wanted!
Where: SCI International Secretariat, Antwerp, Belgium
Period: as soon as possible for 1 year
Title: Office Volunteer
Requirement: this volunteering position is open for young people who are residents of France and can participate in the French Service Civique programme
SCI has been organising international volunteering projects for 100 years internationally, organising short term voluntary projects (workcamps) as well as mid-term and long-term volunteering exchanges. SCI’s vision is a world of peace, social justice and sustainable development, where all people live together with mutual respect and without recourse to any form of violence to solve conflicts. SCI’s mission is to promote a culture of peace by organising international volunteering projects with local and global impact. The volunteer’s work will support this mission.
The volunteer will support the organisation of international (online or in-person) meetings and events, the collection of statistics, relations with donors, contact and support to organisations and volunteers, and other tasks that can come up later in the year. This project is a great opportunity for volunteers who want to learn how an international NGO organises itself internally and manages its democratic decision making.
The placement requires organisation, a keen interest in the internal organisation of an NGO’s work, and the ability (or interest in developing as a skill) to multitask. The volunteer will work with different staff members in the office, including the International Coordinator, the Finance Officer and the Volunteer Coordinator, who will act as the direct supervisors. Many of the projects will be done in collaboration, with strong support for self-initiative and innovative ideas.
The volunteer will work a total of 30 hours a week and will receive 1.5 free days per month during the voluntary service.
Support the organisation of the International Committee Meetings (ICM) (20%)
ICM is SCI’s bi-annual assembly and will be happening in-person in December (long) and online in June (one day)
- Supporting with the internal communication of the event;
- Supporting with the formatting and organising of official documentation;
- Helping with minutes taking and finalising minutes after the meeting;
- Technical support with online streaming and online platforms;
- Organising workshops within the meetings.
Support with statistics (20%)
- Support transferring data to an excel spreadsheet and communicate with branches to support submitting their data;
- Reporting for insurance;
- Support with infographics/video tutorials to help SCI organisations better understand the process.
Fundraising and donor management (20%)
The volunteer will support the strategy for fundraising from individuals.
- Collecting material to show updates of SCI’s activities to donors (e.g. pictures, interviews with SCI staff and volunteers, quotes, …);
- Editing the material;
- Creating a newsletter for donors;
- Finding new ways to manage donor relations.
Organisation and office support (20%)
- Be the first point of contact for volunteers and organisations contacting SCI via the info email;
- Support volunteers in applying for workcamps through our office;
- Support the internal flow of information in the movement by managing mailing lists, MA requests, branch calls, …
- Infographics/videos/visuals for internal SCI processes;
- Survey of the Members’ Area (internal knowledge management system) and updating and re-organising links, information, materials;
- A personal project agreed upon with the supervisor + camp coordinator training and workcamp coordination;
- Share the general work of the office, such as answering telephone calls, filing, joining office meetings;
- Other tasks as they may arise.
Who are we looking for?
A candidate aged between 18 – 25, from France, who has:
- An interest in the topics of human rights, solidarity, volunteering, intercultural dialogue and specific project topics mentioned above, and who is eager to contribute to SCI’s mission of promoting a culture of peace;
- An interest in learning the organisational side of working in an international NGO, internal communication and donor management;
- Knowledge of excel (at least basic);
- An interest in increasing graphic design skills in software such as Indesign, Piktochart and Canva;
- Good organisational skills and attention to detail;
- Good English language skills (spoken and written) and/or be willing to improve;
- Creativity and self-initiative;
- Interest to help, learn and share, to work in a busy international office, to multitask and to work in teams.
- Any previous experience with volunteering or with SCI is a plus.
What do we offer you?
- A furnished room in an apartment with shared facilities (livingroom, kitchen, bathroom) for 100 euros (all utilities included, as well as some products for the house cleaning; personal stuff such as food, hygienic materials not included);
- A bike sharing card to explore the beautiful city of Antwerp;
- A personal mentor who will support you during your time in Belgium;
- Participation in international meetings (EPM & ICM) and training courses (POT), a camp coordinator training with SCI France and an international workcamp.
How to apply?
Starting date: as soon as possible.