We are looking for a project and office volunteer!
Participate in the European Solidarity Corps and join the team in Antwerp!
The International Secretariat of Service Civil International is looking for a Project and Office ESC volunteer!
? SCI International Secretariat, Antwerp, Belgium
? 20 June 2022 – 19 May 2023
? Project and Office ESC Volunteer
SCI has been organizing international volunteering projects for 100 years internationally, organising short term voluntary projects (workcamps) as well as mid-term and long-term volunteering exchanges. SCI’s vision is a world of peace, social justice and sustainable development, where all people live together with mutual respect and without recourse to any form of violence to solve conflicts. SCI’s mission is to promote a culture of peace by organising international volunteering projects with local and global impact. The volunteer’s work will support this mission.
The volunteer will follow on 2 projects, namely the Grassroots change and the FUNding peace projects.
Grassroots change: volunteering, leadership and emancipation through hands-on work and mentoring is an international project among several SCI partners from Africa and Europe. The project aims to improve the quality of short and long term voluntary projects by investing in leadership and mentoring training for the youth organisations involved as well as by creating tools for the sending and hosting organisations, focusing on several topics such as gender perspective, climate justice and decolonisation.
FUNding peace: the power grid for your project is a European project that aims to connect young people in an open and supportive platform, empowering them to exchange ideas and boost their capacities to initiate quality projects. The project will equip participants with knowledge, inspiration and skills needed to initiate cross-cultural (peace) projects; cultivate their capacity to integrate key transversal topics in their projects, such as climate justice, antidiscrimination, inclusiveness and intersectionality; and lay foundations of an open and supportive platform that helps young people get active.
The volunteer will be also supporting the office with internal communication, tech-related tasks, organisation and logistics.
The placement requires creativity, a keen interest in the topic, organisation, attention to detail, an understanding of technology or eagerness to learn, and the ability (or interest in developing as a skill) to multitask. The volunteer will work with the Tech Support Person and the Project Officer, and many of the projects will be done in collaboration, with strong support for self-initiative and innovative ideas.
The participant will work a total 30 hours a week and will receive 2 free days per month during the voluntary service.
The volunteer will work with the Tech Support Person and the Project Officer, and many of the projects will be done in collaboration, with strong support for self-initiative and innovative ideas. Tasks will include:
Project communication and management (30%)
- Taking an active part in project meetings and thematic groups;
- Collecting and producing content (articles, updates, other relevant material & resources) for the project website and SCI’s social media platforms;
- Support organising 3 online webinars (promotion, registrations, etc.);
- Support with project reporting.
Development and promotion of SCI’s online learning modules (30%)
- Contributing to/supporting the content creation of a new online module for Euro-African exchanges;
- Supporting the technical integration of the online modules into SCI’s online learning platform;
- Co-creating quizzes and other interactive activities;
- Co-creating the visual design of the online course;
- Promoting a new SCI online module on Euro-African exchanges.
Internal communication and tech support (30%)
- Managing the info email and responding inquiries from potential volunteers;
- Support with mailing lists management and email requests;
- Management of Members’ Area requests;
- Support with tech-related issues in the office (computers and printers in the office, programs used by the office, …);
- A personal project agreed upon with the supervisor;
- Share the general work of the office, such as answering telephone calls, filing, joining office meetings, and any other general office tasks that arise;
- Other tasks as they may arise.
Who are we looking for?
A candidate aged between 18 -30, from a country participating in the European Solidarity Corps, who has:
- An interest in the topics of human rights, solidarity, volunteering, intercultural dialogue and specific project topics mentioned above, and who is eager to contribute to SCI’s mission of promoting a culture of peace;
- Are interested in learning the practical side of project management, communication and non-formal education in an international NGO;
- Strong interest in peace education and creation of online courses;
- Passion and knowledge in using social media tools;
- An interest in increasing graphic design skills in software such as Indesign and Canva;
- Is tech-savvy;
- Has experience with WordPress or other CMS (Content Management Systems) (desirable) or is eager to learn;
- Is willing to learn other CMS;
- Has experience with / is willing to learn web hosting control panels, like WHM and cpanel;
- Good English language skills (spoken and written);
- Creativity and self-initiative;
- Interest to help, learn and share, to work in a busy international office, to multitask and to work in teams.
- Any previous experience with SCI is a plus.
What do we offer you?
- A 12 months volunteer contract with Service Civil International’s International Secretariat;
- A monthly volunteer allowance of 380 EUR;
- A furnished room in an apartment with shared facilities (living room, kitchen, bathroom);
- Travel reimbursement for your travel between Antwerp and your place of residence at the beginning and at the end of your placement (up to 275 EUR);
- A bike sharing card to explore the beautiful city of Antwerp;
- A personal mentor who will support you during your time in Belgium;
- CIGNA Health Insurance;
- Participation in different international meetings and an international workcamp.
Starting date would be 20 June 2022 (to discuss with the candidate).
How to apply
Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, attaching your CV and a motivation letter in English.
Deadline for applications: 18 May 2022. Interviews will be held on 23, 24, 25 May 2022.