ESC project volunteer wanted in the IS!
Join us for one year in Antwerp
The International Secretariat of Service Civil International is looking for a project European Solidarity Corps volunteer!
Where: SCI International Secretariat, Antwerp, Belgium
Period: 14 August 2023 – 13 August 2024
😀 Title: Project ESC Volunteer
Service Civil International (SCI) has been organising international volunteering projects for 100 years internationally, organising short-term voluntary projects (workcamps) as well as mid-term and long-term volunteering exchanges. SCI’s vision is a world of peace, social justice and sustainable development, where all people live together with mutual respect and without recourse to any form of violence to solve conflicts. SCI’s mission is to promote a culture of peace by organising international volunteering projects with local and global impact. The volunteer’s work will support this mission.
The volunteer’s work will follow various aspects related to international projects. They will support during the final quarter of a one-year project, No War Anywhere!, supporting logistics, communication, and reporting.
No War Anywhere! Engaging youth in antimilitarist education is a 1-year work plan which connects 102-year history of SCI with current-day realities of militarism, war, and violence. The project aims to bring together young people from different European realities to exchange on the topic of antimilitarism and its connection with peace, addressing urgent and important questions, and offering young people the space and tools to stand up for peace. The project will consist of a seminar on antimilitarism, an advocacy and campaigning training, a virtual exchange, microgrants for volunteers & organisations to carry out campaigns around International Day of Peace all around Europe and online, and a communication online course.
The volunteer will also support future projects related to peace, diversity, and non-formal education in 2024, including international activities, technical support of webinars, and developing educational resources. They will also support the office with other projects and tasks that will arise during the placement.
The placement requires creativity, a keen interest in the topics of the projects, organisation, flexibility and the ability (or interest in developing as a skill) to multitask.
The volunteer will work a total of 30 hours a week and will receive 2 free days per month during the voluntary service.
The volunteer will work with the Project Officer, and many of the projects will be done in collaboration, with strong support for self-initiative and innovative ideas.
Project communication and management (70%)
- Taking an active part in project meetings and thematic groups;
- Collecting and producing content (articles, updates, other relevant material & resources) for the project website and SCI’s social media platforms;
- Support organising physical training course(s)
- Support to manage microgrants
- Support with project reporting
Development and promotion of learning resources (30%)
- Supporting the integration of new online modules into SCI’s online learning platform;
- Co-creating quizzes and other interactive activities;
- Supporting webinars and other online learning events;
- Promotion of new and
- A personal project agreed upon with the supervisor;
- Share the general work of the office, such as answering telephone calls, filing, joining office meetings, and any other general office tasks that arise;
- Other tasks as they may arise.
Who are we looking for?
A candidate aged between 18 -30, from a country participating in the European Solidarity Corps, who has:
- Interest in the topics of peace, antimilitarism, advocacy, human rights, solidarity, volunteering and intercultural dialogue, and is eager to contribute to SCI’s mission of promoting a culture of peace;
- Interest in learning the practical side of project management, communication and non-formal education in an international NGO;
- Interest in non-formal education;
- Passion and knowledge in using social media tools;
- Previous experience with wordpress or is willing to learn;
- Good English language skills (spoken and written);
- Creativity and self-initiative;
- Interest to help, learn and share, to work in a busy international office, to multitask and to work in teams.
- Any previous experience with SCI is a plus.
What do we offer you?
- A 12 months volunteer contract with Service Civil International’s International Secretariat;
- A monthly volunteer allowance of 440 EUR;
- A furnished room in an apartment with shared facilities (livingroom, kitchen, bathroom);
- Travel reimbursement for your travel between Antwerp and your place of residence at the beginning and at the end of your service (up to 275 EUR or 320 EUR if travelling green);
- A bike sharing card to explore the beautiful city of Antwerp;
- A personal mentor who will support you during your time in Belgium;
- CIGNA Health Insurance;
- Participation in international meetings;
- Participation in a workcamp.
Starting date would be on 14 August 2023.
How to apply
If you have any questions, send an email to email@example.com. Please note that only applications submitted through the form will be considered.
⏰ Deadline for applications: 11 May 2023.
Explore more news
A process of « Participatory Action Research » on decolonizing volunteering
Last February, as part of the project “Decolonize volunteering!” from CCIVS, SCI Belgium had the chance to host a beautiful group of young people wanting to start working on a challenging and demanding issue: the decolonisation of volunteering.
Kishori Shakti Programme Report
SCI India Maharashtra State Group organised a six day project about Girls Empowerment. Each day day tackled a different subject for more than 25 young girls.
Call for an illustrator/graphic designer
SCI is developing an online course to support young activists to communicate and advocate for peace. We are looking for a creative eye to support us on the visual side of this online course. Deadline to apply is 26th of May