European Solidarity Corps volunteer wanted
Join us in Antwerp as a project volunteer!
The International Secretariat of Service Civil International is looking for a project European Solidarity Corps volunteer!
Where: SCI International Secretariat, Antwerp, Belgium
Period: 27 March 2023 – 26 March 2024
Project ESC Volunteer Title:
Service Civil International (SCI) has been organising international volunteering projects for 100 years internationally, organising short-term voluntary projects (workcamps) as well as mid-term and long-term volunteering exchanges. SCI’s vision is a world of peace, social justice and sustainable development, where all people live together with mutual respect and without recourse to any form of violence to solve conflicts. SCI’s mission is to promote a culture of peace by organising international volunteering projects with local and global impact. The volunteer’s work will support this mission.
The volunteer will follow on one yearly project, namely the No War Anywhere! project, contributing to the project management (logistics, communication, reporting).
No War Anywhere! Engaging youth in antimilitarist education is a 1-year work plan which connects and engages the 102-year history of SCI with current-day realities of militarism, war, and violence. The project aims to bring together young people from different European realities to exchange on the topic of antimilitarism and its connection with peace, addressing urgent and important questions, and offering young people the space and tools to stand up for peace. The project will consist of a seminar on antimilitarism, an advocacy and campaigning training, a virtual exchange, microgrants for volunteers & organisations to carry out campaigns around International Day of Peace all around Europe and online, and a communication online course.
The volunteer will also be supporting the office with other projects and tasks that will arise during the placement.
The placement requires creativity, a keen interest in the topics of the project, organisation, flexibility and the ability (or interest in developing as a skill) to multitask.
The volunteer will work a total of 30 hours a week and will receive 2 free days per month during the voluntary service.
The volunteer will work with the Project Officer, and many of the projects will be done in collaboration, with strong support for self-initiative and innovative ideas.
Project communication and management (50%)
- Taking an active part in project meetings and thematic groups;
- Collecting and producing content (articles, updates, other relevant material & resources) for the project website and SCI’s social media platforms;
- Support organising one physical training course
- Support to manage microgrants
- Support with project reporting
Development and promotion of SCI’s online learning modules (40%)
- Supporting the integration of new online modules into SCI’s online learning platform;
- Contributing to/supporting the content creation of a new online module on communication;
- Co-creating quizzes and other interactive activities;
- Co-creating the visual design of the online course;
- Promoting the new SCI online modules created.
- A personal project agreed upon with the supervisor;
- Share the general work of the office, such as answering telephone calls, filing, joining office meetings, and any other general office tasks that arise;
- Other tasks as they may arise.
Who are we looking for?
A candidate aged between 18 -30, from a country participating in the European Solidarity Corps, who has:
- Interest in the topics of peace, antimilitarism, advocacy, human rights, solidarity, volunteering and intercultural dialogue, and is eager to contribute to SCI’s mission of promoting a culture of peace;
- Interest in learning the practical side of project management, communication and non-formal education in an international NGO;
- Strong interest in peace or non-formal education and creation of online courses, and especially in creating attractive, fun and interactive online learning activities;
- Passion and knowledge in using social media tools;
- Previous experience with wordpress or is willing to learn;
- Interest in increasing graphic design skills in softwares such as Indesign and Canva;
- Good English language skills (spoken and written);
- Creativity and self-initiative;
- Interest to help, learn and share, to work in a busy international office, to multitask and to work in teams.
- Any previous experience with SCI is a plus.
What do we offer you?
- A 12 months volunteer contract with Service Civil International’s International Secretariat (or shorter if the placement starts later than planned);
- A monthly volunteer allowance of 380€;
- A furnished room in an apartment with shared facilities (livingroom, kitchen, bathroom);
- Travel reimbursement for your travel between Antwerp and your place of residence at the beginning and at the end of your placement (up to 275€);
- A bike sharing card to explore the beautiful city of Antwerp;
- A personal mentor who will support you during your time in Belgium;
- CIGNA Health Insurance;
- Participation in one international training course and an international workcamp.
Starting date would be on 27 March 2023.
How to apply
Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, attaching your CV and a motivation letter in English.
⏰ Deadline for applications: 18 January 2023.