Gender Blenders translation project
Open call for volunteers!
The Gender Blenders working group of SCI invites volunteers to participate in a translation project!
What’s the idea?
In 2019, SCI published the ‘Free to be You and Me’ toolkit. It is a tool meant to help activity leaders address Gender and Sexuality in their work, and to ensure that their activities are gender-inclusive. It contains comprehensive information on gender and sexuality, along with step-by-step procedures and easy-to-use methods.
It has proven a very useful resource, and we want to make it accessible to more people. That’s where you come in!
The toolkit currently exists in various versions: a full version in English, and shorter versions in Albanian, Bulgarian, English, Macedonian and Serbian. We welcome translations of the short version into any other language. We need both translators and designers.
We want to combine the translation of this important resource with the opportunity to have meaningful conversations about gender and language together. Volunteers will be invited to discuss the challenges and rewards of the translation process together through regular, informal Skype meetings.
What do I need?
- A bit of spare time and a desire to contribute to gender inclusion in activities!
- A good level of English, and fluency in another language
- Ideally some knowledge of vocabulary around gender, or motivation to learn
- Basic knowledge of InDesign (SCI has a subscription which can be used)
- Regular (virtual) meetings to discuss the translation process, support each other and get deeper into the topics of gender and language
- The possibility to contact local organisations working on issues related to gender and sexuality, to ask if they would like to be included in the toolkit
- Translating up to 26 pages of text (it can be less, you can translate a part)
- Re-formatting the file, using the existing graphics with the translated text
How to get involved?
We really hope to hear from you! 🙂 If you would like to sign up, or need any more information, write to us at: firstname.lastname@example.org