Workcamp in project “Gotas de Agua” in Peru
Volunteer for forest conservation in Peru!
Project “GOTAS DE AGUA” – Environmental theme – Environment school.
WHERE: Jaén, Región de Cajamarca (Perú)
WHEN: 25 July – 15 August 2022
In the surroundings of the city of Jaén there are two very different ecosystems: the dry forest, closest to the bigger towns and because of this very deteriorated, and a wet, wild forest, difficult to access and under constant threat from indiscriminate logging.
The workcamp will take place in the conservation area “Gotas de Agua” (drops of water), a land in the dry forest owned by the association “Gotas de Agua”.
With hardly any means, Luciano Troyes began to plant native trees in that place in 1990 and after many years of perseverance, faith and love for nature, he has managed not only to repopulate 1,800 hectares, but also to recover an entire ecosystem that was considered lost. As proof of this enormous work of regeneration and conservation of nature, the Peruvian state, through the Ministry of the Environment, has declared it a Private Conservation Area, as part of the national system of protected areas. Since then, various biologists have carried out ornithological and botanical studies in the area, the latter even finding individuals of species endemic to the region and three plants new for science “mimosa jaenensis”, mimosa lamolina.
The work carried out in the “Gotas de Agua” Private Conservation Area has the following objectives:
- Conserve and protect the biological diversity of the Dry Forest of the District of Jaén and Bellavista
- Conserve and protect the endemic and threatened species that inhabit it
- Promote and carry out basic and applied research projects
- Establish long-term biological and ecological monitoring programs
- Develop ecotourism and birdwatching programs
- Involve local communities in programs for the conservation and management of their natural resources.
- Ecological restoration of deforested areas with native species.
Dry forest (13 days)
- Irrigation and cleaning of paths and nurseries, as well as cultivation and classification of native forest flowers, orchids and medicinal plants
- Construction of a bird observatory, with materials from the area
- Management and classification of Orchids
- Cleaning of the bank of the Marañón River
- Help in the conditioning of part of the mountain biking circuit to promote eco-tourism.
Visit to schools in the province of Jaén (8 days)
- Participate in a visit to the “Productive, Ecological and Scientific Schools for Social Change” project
- Talk to the teachers, students and parents of the educational institutions of the Productive, Ecological and Scientific Schools for Social Change project.
TYPE OF ACCOMMODATION: Lodging of the “Gotas de Agua” Conservation Area, provided with bunk beds and interior toilets. Volunteers collaborate in washing the sheets, towels and cleaning the room. The food would be based on chicken, rice, cassava, potatoes, eggs, fruits and vegetables.
STUDY SUBJECT: Botany, medicinal plants and local ornithology.
PARTICIPATION FEE: $300, used for the volunteer’s maintenance ($200) and materials for the “Gotas de Agua” project ($100)
NUMBER OF VOLUNTEERS: 8
APPLY: express your interest for the Project “GOTAS DE AGUA” to your local organisation and they will guide you in the application process.