Call for Illustrator/ Designer
Support SCI's next publication!
Help with the visual aspect of the practical handbook on gender for coordinators of SCI activities!
Service Civil International (SCI) is dedicated to promoting a culture of peace. Its main activity is the international exchange of volunteers on long- and short-term projects, which serve its vision of a world of peace, social justice and sustainable development. SCI is open to all, irrespective of gender, sex, race, ethnicity, colour, age, disability, religion, culture or language. SCI views equal inclusion, participation and treatment of all, regardless of gender identity, as fundamental to peace. SCI has been working to acknowledge, understand and address gender inequalities within its own activities and in the communities in which it works.
To support gender mainstreaming in projects and community action, we are working on a handbook for coordinators of SCI volunteering activities in Africa, that would provide insight into the topic and practical tips on how to address the topic in activities. The development of this handbook is a part of SCI’ s project Step to the future: empowering youth leaders to tackle gender inequalities that has been supported by the UNESCO’s Participation Programme.
The handbook will build upon existing gender publications Free to be you and me and Time to face gendered realities. We estimate that the content would have about 30-40 pages of text, size A5. The process of creation will be divided in 2 parts, first at the end of December- first half of January, and the second one in February.
We are looking for an illustrator/ designer who will help us with the visual aspect of the handbook, which will be printed in a black and white version. This would include creating illustrations for the handbook, arranging the layout of the text, and preparing a final document for the printer.
We are looking for a person who:
- Has experience illustrating publications;
- Is able to communicate with the project’s team in English, is flexible and open for feedback;
- Has time to work on this project at the end of December/ first half of January and do a follow up in February 2022;
- (Ideally) has some familiarity with the topic of gender, peace, and/or with the work and values of SCI.
What we can offer:
- Service contract and payment for services (based on an invoice), for an amount to be agreed (max. 550 USD) and paid via a bank transfer (unless agreed otherwise);
- The opportunity to be involved in the creation of a resource that will support young people making SCI activities safe and inclusive for people of all genders;
- High visibility of your work within the SCI movement and for youth and volunteer organisations beyond SCI.
How to apply:
If you are interested in using your design/illustration skills to support this project, please send a sample of your work, a quote (what you would normally expect to be paid for such work) to Alena at email@example.com by 20th December 2021.